If it isn’t one thing, it’s another…

Well, the good news is that her shunt is working fine.  But don’t go thinking that just because Madison’s shunt is working fine that she can’t get herself hospitalized.  Quite the contrary.


She woke up this morning in a fantastic mood.  She was smiling, squealing and chatting as much as she ever has.  She was also really, really hungry.  So we fed her…and she threw it all up.  We waited an hour and tried giving her pedialyte.  Not a favorable result.  So, we call the doctor, they schedule an emergency MRI, blah, blah blah.  You all know the story by now.


Instead of an MRI, they changed her to a CT scan which is better at detecting bleeding, which could cause vomiting.  I’m glad they told us this after the CT scan came back OK or we would have been frantic over that one.  The shunt looks fine.  They sent us back for a chest x-ray.  In the meantime, since she was getting dehydrated, they admitted Madison again and put her on IV fluids and IV anti-nausea medication.  Right back to the 6th floor at Children’s hospital.


The chest x-ray came back and she has an upper respiratory viral infection.  Never saw that coming.  She’ll spend the night at the hospital getting IV fluids and respiratory therapy.  Julie’s dad came in today, so he’ll stay with her tonight so Julie and I can stay at home.  Hopefully, she will be healthy enough to come home tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s